Monday, November 30, 2009

31 Days of Giving - For Free!

I started my 31 Days of Giving - for Free a day early! After donating my numerous items to the Boulder Humane Society, dropping off items to the used children's clothing store and used book store, and finally Savers Thrift store (Supports local non-profit charities), I still had a load of books from my mother that I was going to donate to the library. During my last errand, I struck up a conversation with my sales associate about fiction novels and asked if she would like to have any new books. She was delighted with the choices and took all but four of the hard back novels. The expression on her face showed her true feelings. She was ecstatic with her gift. It's truly joyous for me to be able to see the happiness that I can offer to someone else for so little effort on my part. I love to donate to many different charities, but I rarely get to see the expressions of those who receive the gifts. It's truly a bonus!

That takes me back to my thoughts of teaching my students about Random Acts of Kindness. (I even came upon my "Random Acts of Kindness" pin yesterday.) Random Acts... A random act of kindness is a selfless act performed by a person or persons wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual or in some cases an animal. Although I'm a personal organizer now vs an elementary school teacher, I still find myself participating and urging others to participate in Random Acts of Kindness.

So, here's your goal: 31 Days of Giving! It's free and YOU benefit too!

For the next 31 days give something of yourself each day! Be spontaneous, have fun and share those extra material possessions that are not being truly used or loved. (I did give away my R. A.of K. pin! Someone needs it more than I do!) Can you give away something everyday for the next 31 days? Perhaps it's a hug or a smile to a random individual, a wave to the person who made it possible for you to merge into their lane, eye contact and a thank you to the frazzled sales clerk, a few coins to the shopper in front of you searching for a penny or two so they don't get back 97 cents, gathering up your free bathroom samples and hotel soaps and delivering them to the women's shelter. Once you open your eyes to giving, I'm sure you'll find plenty of items and gestures to share. Smiles are contagious!

Invite your family and friends to join in on the 31 Days of Giving! For those who are Humbugging your idea, ask them to share with the less fortunate and give their toys and clothing to those in need, therefore making way for new items to have a useful place after the holidays. (Or call me and I'll sweetly compliment them on the good job their going to do. It works every time!)

NO excusses! If you're too tired one day, put an item out on the curb in the morning and I bet it will be gone by the end of the day - especially if you put it on Craigslist, under the FREE category. Other ideas: put a "Thank You" in the mail or milk box. Shovel someone's sidewalk after the next snow, put a flower in a clean jar and leave it on a random neighbor's door step.

Have fun, be creative, and SMILE! (and share your stories with me!)

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Hi Shelley,

I just discovered you were back!! I missed you. I haven't been blogging as much either but hope to do more.

Love this idea!!!

Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season with your family!