Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Kindness


Have you started your 31 Days of Giving - for Free??? What did you give today?

On my way to Yoga Sculpt, my new found passion this year, at CorePowerYoga(.com; check it out!) I found myself quickly getting irritated at the driver next to me, who speed up after the light turned green and then slowed down, not letting me into his lane. I took a deep breath, slowed down even more, and waved at the driver behind me who patiently waited for me to merge in front of him. I smiled, looked in the review mirror, and waved a gracious "Thank You" again before turning right. A simple second positive gesture hopefully let the kind driver know I truly appreciated his act of kindness.

As my tired aching body laid on my yoga mat (muscles exhausted from yesterday's Hot Yoga, a new class for me) the thought crossed my mind if I should be taking the class or should have stayed home. Then to my greatest surprise, as my instructor entered the studio, she began her class with a quote from Amelia Earhart that answered my question out loud. Had I not done anything else today but lay on my mat in Savasana (Dead Man's Pose/body flat on the ground, face up), it was meant for me to hear that quote. (It was a fantastic class by the way. I feel soo much better and learned to let go of the competition within myself and the thought of what other's were thinking of me, and didn't use weights for the first time in Sculpt!) I gave myself a gift and therefore was able to be a better person and give more to others. I had a very productive day of giving!

What does this quote stir up in you?

"No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves." Amelia Earhart

Just think of all the trees you can help grow in your next 30 days of giving!

No comments: